Question:

From British Columbia, Canada:

My 13 year old daughter got diabetes when she was 4. Will too much carbohydrates cause a problem for her? If so, why? How much should she have a day?

Answer:

The issue is not how many carbohydrates (unless she has a weight problem), but rather an issue of being consistent with the amount of carbohydrate she is eating at breakfast each day, lunch each day, dinner each day and snacks each day. The more consistent one is in the amount of carbohydrate the more stable the insulin dose. Exercise is another factor that will lower blood sugars and stress also affects blood sugars.

If you haven't talked with a dietitian familiar with teens, I suggest you find one and make an appointment. The dietitian can help decide how much your daughter needs to continue to be healthy.

JM