Question:

From Independence, Missouri, USA:

I was just informed that I have diabetes, and I was wondering if you could get me some information on what my life will be like now.

Answer:

You ask a hard question! Not knowing what your life was like prior to your diagnosis, it is difficult to tell you exactly what changes are ahead!

In general, a diagnosis of diabetes means paying close attention to the foods you eat, what you choose and how much. You do not mention if you are on medication for your diabetes. This would of course, mean additional changes to accommodate the medication regimen into your life. I hope that the changes you find are minimal. The adjustment period following a diagnosis of diabetes is different for each individual. My hope is that you have a multi-disciplinary diabetes team to assist you as you incorporate diabetes into your life.

CMB