Question:

From Ames, Iowa, USA:

My grandson is Type 1 and 2 1/2 years old. He was diagnosed at age 11 months. His blood sugars range from 25 to 650.

The biggest problem lately has been with low blood sugars due to his refusal to eat or drink his juice. My daughter is at wit's end trying to get a 2-year old to eat when he needs to.

Answer:

This is typical behavior for a child this age diabetes or not. Your daughter might ask about giving Humalog insulin after he eats -- sometimes this helps. He will outgrow this behavior. In the mealtime, there's not too much else you can do except to treat the lows when they happen or adjust the insulin if you see a pattern.

SS

[Editor's comment: I highly recommend that you get your daughter a copy of Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. Sweet Kids contains many helpful insights about raising kids with diabetes, and dealing with food is covered in great detail. JSH]

Posted to Hypoglycemia and Meal Planning, Food and Diet