Question:

From Canada:

I have a quick question about cholesterol and diabetes. I have two times the normal cholesterol, according to my latest results and I was wondering if and how diabetes causes high cholesterol. I am 21 years old, and only slightly overweight.

Answer:

I don't wish to get into detailed biochemistry but insulin is involved not only in metabolism of carbohydrate but also fat so the body's lipids are affected by diabetes. This makes dietary management doubly important in diabetes and if your cholesterol remains this high after proper dietetic steps then you may require drug treatment to reduce your future cardiovascular risk.

Posted to Complications and Meal Planning, Food and Diet