Question:

From Birmingham, Alabama, USA:

My 10 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes for 2 years. He takes 2 shots per day of NPH and Regular. He has had ups, downs and all arounds! Recently, I have changed his diet completely. I let him have more sweets than he ever had, he eats more things he likes, especially at snack time I allow him to have five Oreo cookies and milk. Since I have started doing this my son doesn't feel so deprived and his blood sugar is great! We have not had a high in over a month!

I know this is hard to believe, but when I worried myself sick over what he ate we always had highs, now he stays at 117-140. How could this be? Our lives have been great since his diet change. He feels better and feels less deprived. Should I have done this to begin with?

Answer:

I assume you are still using some form of counting carbohydrate to keep some consistency in his food intake, but are choosing more "treats" and are working them in. If you are not following any meal plan, I would suspect what may be going on is that your son's pancreas is starting to produce some insulin (this happens in the majority of people for a short time after diagnosis and continues for some months or years after diagnosis: called the honeymoon period) When one eats something with sugar in it the pancreas may be nudged into action and produces insulin in addition to the insulin taken by injection. This can produce lower and sometimes low blood sugars.

I always caution my patients to watch for lows when they have eaten sweets. As to your question, should you have been doing this in the first place, different treatment teams have differing opinions on using sugar as a part of the meal plan. I feel that a moderate amount of sugar can be safely incorporated into the meal plan which does make life so much more normal for many families. Moderation is the key.

JM