Question:

From Quebec, Canada:

Our oldest son was diagnosed at the age of 6. His only symptoms were sudden bedwetting and excessive thirst and urination. My youngest who is going to be 5 has begun wetting the bed now and has begun vomiting. Is vomiting a sign of diabetes? I checked his blood after vomiting 6 hours after eating and it was 6.7 mmol/l [120 mg/dl] -- is this considered high? I don't want to panic and contact the doctors, but he was up vomiting on Friday night and again on Sunday night. I've heard of others saying that their child was vomiting before diagnosis.

Answer:

I don't think the symptoms you report in your son are due to diabetes. Vomiting can be due to many reasons in a 5 year-old boy and to definitively exclude the diagnosis of diabetes I suggest you should get tests of a fasting blood sugar and the morning urine for sugar.