Question:

From New York, USA:

My nephew is 15 months old and was recently diagnosed with diabetes. He is seen at the Children's Hospital in a nearby major city and they have been very attentive to the baby and family. Although the baby's mom has been instructed on diet, she seems confused with the baby's diet needs. Do you have some suggestions for a diet for a young toddler with diabetes? The baby's blood glucoses have been variable lately, the baby seems to become fatigued and irritable easily. I was hoping that some additional diet teaching might help.

Answer:

Having worked with a number of families with children this age, I understand how frustrating it can be to keep everything within bounds. I would highly recommend the book Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Brackenridge and Richard Rubin. This book addresses eating issues from birth through adolescence. It has good sound advice and gives specific nutrition guidelines for different ages of children.

I also highly recommend the mother call the dietitian she is working with and request a session with her/him. At the time of diagnosis, families have so many issues to deal with they often do not know what information they need. Health professionals understand this and depend of families asking them for help when they need it, even if the family thinks the questions are "dumb" or that they "should" know the answers. I think most of us feel there are no "dumb" questions, only questions that were not asked -- Keep asking until you get the answers you need.

JM