Question:

From New Zealand:

We have at present an outbreak of Cryptosporidium in this country, in the beginning mainly transferred through contaminated swimming pool water. My non-diabetic son wants to go to a thermal pool for his birthday treat, but we are concerned in case either of our children get sick, but especially our 6 year old who has Type 1 diabetes. Is Cryptosporidium of particular concern for a child with diabetes?

Answer:

I don't think Cryptosporidium in general is of particular concern for your 6 year old son with type 1 diabetes compared to the many other viral or bacterial infections that can raise blood sugar.