Question:

From Cincinnati, Ohio, USA:

I have a son who will soon be 5 and was diagnosed with Type 1 seven months ago. Within that same time frame, two other children within 2 miles of our house and within a year of his age were diagnosed. Now, I have found out that another child his age was just diagnosed. That will make four children at their elementary school. The school nurse said this is highly unusual. What are your thoughts on this? I would also be interested in others' thoughts as well.

M9208@aol.com

Answer:

Rather a coincidence I admit; but I very much doubt if it was all due to a single local environmental factor. You must consider that Type 1 diabetes is not an acute disease but rather a chronic autoimmune disease with a long prodromic phase different from subject to subject and probably due to more than one causative agent. The precipitating trigger instead can be viral, and kindergartens and elementary schools are the first places where our children get in touch with viral epidemics. This is probably the reason why the incidence of the disease peaks around those ages.