Question:

My 15 year old has Type 1. His endocrinologist is suggesting that if his A1C has not significantly improved, he wants him to begin taking a fourth shot: one after lunch. His last A1C was in the upper 8 range. 7 or below is this doctor's standard. Previously my son's tests have been below 8. I am very opposed to this additional shot. It just seems like too much! His overall control and self care has been good to excellent in the 2 1/2 years he's had this. Do you think this to be all that beneficial when weighed with the added stress of yet another skin prick per day? He may as well get a pump, which he nor I would really consider.

Answer:

This is the sort of issue which has to be discussed directly with your diabetes team. We say in the UK that "there are many ways to skin a cat" and so it is with diabetes. Get your endocrinologist to explain the reasons for his argument and make sure s/he understands how much your son dislikes injections. Compromise is almost always possible.