Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I have an 11 year old daughter that has had IDDM for 4 years now. I understand the importance of the family in relation to the outcome of this disease. I want some advice or a recommended source for parenting a teenager with diabetes so that I may facilitate a well adjusted, well controlled diabetic teenager.

Answer:

First, there's a book called In Control -- A Guide for Teens with Diabetes by Jean Betschart and Susan Thom, which might be a good place to start. Second, remember that puberty, and all of the hormones that go along with it, make blood sugars a little more erratic. Also know that its a natural part of the teen years to want to explore boundaries and "test the waters" so don't be afraid to talk things over (like alcohol use, birth control, etc.). It seems like you care a lot, just by the nature of your question, and I'll bet your child knows this. Just keep the communication open.

JW

Posted to Daily Care and Puberty