Question:

From West Virginia, USA

I am a sophomore in high school, and my college years will be here very soon. The high school that I go to is in a small town in West Virginia (about 20 minutes away). I drive to school, and I play baseball and basketball. I have learned that it can be difficult to manage diabetes (Type 1) on days that I have two games, have to eat at irregular hours, or have long trips to go on.

My parents and I are concerned about my diabetes care when I go to college. Now, I take care of my self very well, give my own injections with no problem, and understand how food, insulin, and exercise affect my blood sugar levels. But, as my control has gotten tighter, I've had a lot of hypoglycemic episodes. My question is: What colleges and universities in the eastern U.S. have good diabetic support groups? Academics and athletics are very important to me, but I believe a good diabetic support group is also very important.

Answer:

I'm not aware of any colleges with diabetic support groups. You might want to choose a college in a city that has such a group run through the local ADA, JDF, or hospital. Alternatively, you might be able to find on-line support through either the CWD Forums or Chat Rooms.

Additional comments from Craig Broadhurst:

You sound like someone with leadership skills and I'm wondering if you could be the individual to start a support group, in whatever school you attend? Think about it!

CMB