Question:

From West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA:

My daughter, 4-1/2 years old, has been having headaches for about 6 months. We have been keeping a diary and 95% of the headaches seem to be sugar related. The doctor has asked that we put her on a high protein, low carb diet. I am so confused. She needs lots of fiber because she has slow bowels. Are whole grains cereals and breads out for her? Where can I get some guidelines for feeding her? I have read info on counting carbs, but I do not know how many she should be allowed. Because she is not diabetic, we do not have access to nutrition counseling.

Answer:

The high fiber complex carbohydrates should be okay, however, I really do not have enough information to make such as statement. My feeling is your doctor wants her on a low concentrated carbohydrate diet which means avoiding sugar and using fruits and juices sparingly within a meal. The high carbohydrate high fiber foods help slow down the absorption of sugar so should help if the condition is hypoglycemia. Protein is absorbed more slowly than any of the carbohydrates and is used in snacks between meals along with starches and grains to keep the blood sugar from going too low between meals. I am guessing at this diagnosis which sounds like hypoglycemia or low blood sugar.

I think you should ask your doctor to explain the rationale behind the diet and ask if there is anyone in the area who could help you with the diet.

JM

[Editor's comment: If your daughter's physician officially requests a dietary consultation, it is more likely that insurance companies might pay for it. Be sure to ask your doctor about this! WWQ]

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Aches and Pains