Question:

From Illinois, USA:

My son was diagnosed at 1 year of age; he is currently 2 years, 8 months old. His diabetes has been a real rollercoaster. My son takes 2 to 3 shots a day and is now on Humalog; he also takes NPH.

Every since his diagnosis he has been sick with anything and everything. He runs a low-grade fever 3 weeks out of a month and this makes it hard to control his sugar. The doctor has sent us to a infectious disease clinic to check things out, but they found nothing. I feel like there is not much more I can do.

Do you have any suggestions? I want my son to be healthy and have good management, but it seems there is more to his disease than we know, he has had this just since his diagnosis. Have you heard of anything like this before? I really need new input on this; I'm desperate to keep my son as safe as I can. Please help!

Answer:

Several points:

1. The first thing is kids at this age don't develop complications. They are rarely seen until after puberty. Hopefully that'll put your mind to rest to some extent.

2. Children of this age often are on rollercoaster because of growth and eating patterns, etc. If you are using "sliding scale" try stopping it to see if a pattern develops, then adjust insulin accordingly. A program of Ultralente, with Humalog after meals might work.

3. If you haven't seen a a pediatric diabetes team do so; they will be able to provide the best information about programs for a child this age.

SS