From Flint, Michigan, USA:

My daughter, age 17, was diagnosed when she was 12. We started right off counting carbs because I thought I understood the logic of that. Everything has been great until this year. She is a senior and has been on the insulin pump for almost 3 years. Now she has decided she wants to rebel, and be normal as she calls it. She hardly ever checks her blood sugar. Sometimes she doesn't even take her bolus. She will not go back to our diabetic educator. Her A1c is now around 16. She is 5 feet 8 inches, about 155-165 pounds. She never has ketones. She has a 15 to 1 ratio for carb to insulin.

I would like to know any suggestions to get her back on track. Maybe if I have it in print she will listen. I'm very worried about her.

My primary concern is your daughter not checking her blood sugars. Pump therapy must be combined with a strong commitment to check blood sugars reliably. There is significant danger in abandoning blood sugar testing while on a pump! Your daughters lab results are not at all encouraging and her denial of possible complications from uncontrolled blood sugars concerns me.

At 17, I am sure she feels immortal: like nothing bad can happen to her. As a rule, I don't think scare tactics work with teens; but your daughter should be taken off the pump if she refuses to check her glucose levels. I feel very strongly about this.

If she refuses to talk with her diabetes educator, how about someone her age with diabetes? See if your diabetes team has a suggestion of someone who can make it real for her. Do you belong to a parents group of kids with diabetes? Often that can be a source of "linking" information between young persons with diabetes.

The printed word will not make the impact that a human being can. I do not think you need written material as much as you need someone "with skin on" to talk with your child face to face!

Posted to Puberty and Insulin Pumps