From Nova Scotia, Canada:

My son is 18 months old. A couple of times I have checked his blood with a glucose machine. This was checked at the lab and found to have accurate readings.

I took my son to the doctor to have a blood test done and he said not to worry he is too young to have diabetes. His blood sugar at one point was 9.6 mmol/liter [173 mg/dl]. Should I be concerned? His father's family has lots with this and also a cousin with Type 1 diabetes. My mother and a couple more relatives also have Type 2. Please let me know what you think.

It is rather difficult to judge your son's case on the basis of the scarce information you report in your letter. You don't say if the blood test (9.6) of your 18 month old son was performed fasting. If this was the case it's not normal and I would ask a pediatrician for more help.

[Editor's comment: I wonder if you misunderstood your physician: 18 months old may be somewhat early age to get diabetes, but (sorry to say) it's not too young! If the blood sugar is again in the same range as you mention, and your physician is uncomfortable with diagnosing and managing diabetes in the very young, he should be arranging for you and your son to be evaluated and followed by a pediatric diabetes team. WWQ]