Question:

I'm having problems with my eyes. The skin on both lids has become cracked and flaky. Once or twice a day one or both eyes will start to tear and feel like its got something (soft and gelatinous) in it by the tear duct.

I know that having diabetes can cause complications later like retinopathy or neuropathy. I've read that diabetes can also bring on yeast infections, fungal infections, and gum disease among other medical problems.

My blood sugar readings are all in excellent range during the day, my last 2 HbA1c lab tests have both come back as 4.9 (three months apart). I've seen two diabetic eye specialists and both say no neuropathy or other internal eye damage. Is there perhaps some kind of bacteria or other reason for this problem that I've been dealing with for the past 5 months?

I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 8 months ago and have been recently taken off oral medications.

Answer:

There could be a relationship between what you describe in your eyes and diabetes. It is called blepharitis and it is an inflammation and swelling of both upper and lower lids with encrusted eyelashes.

I doubt your eye problem is affected by your well controlled diabetes (as judged by HbA1c levels). I would speak to another eye specialist for advice.