From America On-Line:

I was reading your article about someone using Lispro (Humalog) during pregnancy. I noticed that it said that there has been no reported cases of someone using Humalog and then becoming pregnant.

I have been using Humalog since December, 1997. I just recently found out that I am pregnant. I am about 4 weeks pregnant, and I have/was using Humalog during those first 4 weeks. My doctor switched me over to Regular; in fact, two days ago.

I am not sure of which would be better: Humalog or Regular. On Humalog I had tighter control with less lows; with Regular, my sugars have been more erratic with several lows a day. I am thinking of the situation with the baby. The doctors are stressing the tightest control possible. I know how Regular affects my body and it is almost impossible for me to stay below 120, 1 hour after eating.

I think it would be useful to state that the safety of Lispro in early pregnancy has not be adequately studied. Therefore, switching to Regular insulin for the first 10 weeks of pregnancy is probably wise and then the patient can return to using Lispro after 10 weeks gestation.

[Editor's comment: The original comment was that lispro insulin [Humalog® brand] was "Not yet well-studied in kids under 12 nor in pregnancy" (which I still feel is an accurate statement, and the reader apparently misinterpreted when she wrote to me).

Clearly, our writer is not the first woman on Humalog insulin during her pregnancy: part of our present concern about safety is the two reported cases of women on lispro insulin who had pregnancies with problems despite excellent glycohemoglobin values. (Whether these problems were due to the lispro, or to other causes, was undetermined.)

Rearranging the insulin program, going back to Regular after getting used to lispro, is clearly a problem for most patients. I stress to my patients the importance of making the switch before conception when possible. WWQ]

Posted to Insulin Analogs