Question:

From Elizabethtown, Pennsylvania, USA:

My son, who has Type 1, craves sweets. I switched to stevia for making herbal iced tea, which he drinks a lot of. Are there any valid concerns about stevia? Is the reason its not approved by the FDA for use in drinks (it is used this way in Japan) pressure from other manufacturers of artificial sweeteners?

Answer:

See the discussion about stevia elsewhere at this website.

Stevia's not approved by the FDA because no one has done the toxicology studies needed to demonstrate that it's safe. I don't think there's much concern, but the FDA is very cautious. Remember, not everything that's natural is safe for humans: some snake venoms, for example, can kill you. And the side effects of stevia (if any) might be either relatively uncommon, or occur after prolonged usage.

I think that it's extremely unlikely that there's a governmental conspiracy with the manufacturers of artificial sweeteners. If there is such a conspiracy, no one told me about it!

WWQ