Question:

From Massachusetts, USA:

I am working with vegetarian diabetics and would like to know what I should recommend for legumes. Should I count them at carbohydrates? Protein? How are these affecting blood sugars? Does the soluble fiber slow absorption?

Answer:

I have not worked with many children on vegetarian diets, so I asked a coworker who is vegetarian what she would suggest. She figures the carbohydrate as carbohydrate regardless of the fiber. There is a school of thought out there that has one subtract the total grams of fiber from the total grams of carbohydrate in food. I think you would need to begin with just using the carbohydrate values of the foods and adjust it to the individual since most foods affect individuals differently. The American Dietetic Association publication, On the Cutting Edge, Summer 1997 issue addresses this issue. If you are working with planning meal plans with patients this is a good practice group to belong to within the Dietetic Association. The rate of absorption of carbohydrate varies with cooking methods and lengths of time as well as the form of the food. (I assume you are working mostly with Type 2 who would be at less of a risk for hypoglycemia than patients who are Type 1.)

JM