Question:

From Maharashtra, India:

I am 28 years old, and have had insulin dependent diabetes for the past 15 years. I would like to know whether diabetics like me can conceive normal children? Also, due to diabetes, I am rejected (i.e. all marriage proposals) because as always the explanation given is that diabetic girls can't conceive normally. Hoping for an encouraging reply.

Answer:

Diabetic mothers can have normal children. However, they are at increased risk of certain types of abnormalities such as spina bifida and heart defects. These can be minimized with good glucose control prior to conception and during the first 10 weeks of pregnancy. Also there are specific screening test that can be done early in the pregnancy to detect many of these problems.

Posted to Family Planning