Question:

From Ottawa, Ontario, Canada:

I am 13 and was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a month ago. I'm having problems with one teacher in school who does not understand that I have to go to the washroom occasionally during his class to do a blood sugar check. He doesn't let me at times. Can you help?

Answer:

Do you have a nurse at your school? If so, then perhaps the nurse could help you plan for your diabetes care in the school, and also work with your teachers. Has your parent talked to the teachers or staff at the school? Perhaps your diabetes doctor or nurse could help you. Have your family or diabetes team provide the school with information. The more the school staff know about diabetes, the better they'll be able to help you.

LM

[Editor's comment: Information for Teachers and Child-Care Providers has lots of information that you and your parents could share with the teacher. There's also a brochure from the ADA (which is mentioned at the same webpage). WWQ]

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare