Question:

From Vermillion, South Dakota, USA:

I am a 24 year old college student diagnosed with IDDM at the age of 15. I live on a very fixed income and can not afford medical insurance. I'd like to be able to better manage my diabetes (hopefully with a team approach) but find it hard just paying for insulin and syringes. I was wondering if you could give me any suggestions or point me to some resources that could provide me with some help so that I can better control my diabetes. From what I have been able to find in past questions it seems pretty bleak.

Answer:

You might want to start with your local chapter of the American Diabetes Association. Also, call 1-800-TEAM UP 4 (this number, sponsored by the American Association of Diabetes Educators, can put you in touch with a diabetes educator in your area). Maybe one of them might know of free classes or a clinic that could help you on a limited budget. Also, check with the Financial Aid office at your college. Maybe there's some scholarship that is geared toward a college student with diabetes. A similar scholarship that a student I know had, had helped with medical expenses, medication, tuition and books.

JW

Posted to Social Issues: Insurance/Costs