Question:

From America On-Line:

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 33 years and have a 9 year old son. Is there anything I could or should not do to help prevent my son from ever getting this disease? I had read once that there may be a link between milk and childhood onset diabetes.

Answer:

There is nothing you can do to prevent diabetes. If you are concerned that your child has inherited diabetes you might consider enrolling him in the DPT-1 (Diabetes Prevention Trial) to screen for antibodies. While currently there is no way to prevent Type 1 diabetes, this trial is exploring possibilities. Look for further information elsewhere on this website.

SS

[Editor's comment: The role of cow's milk (if any) in causing diabetes is very controversial. See previous questions about Causes and Prevention of diabetes. WWQ]