From America On-Line:

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 33 years and have a 9 year old son. Is there anything I could or should not do to help prevent my son from ever getting this disease? I had read once that there may be a link between milk and childhood onset diabetes.

There is nothing you can do to prevent diabetes. If you are concerned that your child has inherited diabetes you might consider enrolling him in the DPT-1 (Diabetes Prevention Trial) to screen for antibodies. While currently there is no way to prevent Type 1 diabetes, this trial is exploring possibilities. Look for further information elsewhere on this website.

[Editor's comment: The role of cow's milk (if any) in causing diabetes is very controversial. See previous questions about Causes and Prevention of diabetes. WWQ]