Question:

From Kingston, Ontario Canada:

I have been diabetic for 15 years since I was 8 years old. Lately I have been experiencing a lot of bowel problems, like chronic diarrhea and upset stomach. I never seem to have a regular bowel movement. Is there any connection between bowel problems and Type 1 diabetes? Any suggestions?

Answer:

Yes, it's true that people with diabetes for many years could develop problems with the functioning of the gut. These problems are due to problems with the functioning of the "Autonomic Nervous System" and is therefore called autonomic neuropathy. Another common version of autonomic neuropathy is gastroparesis; still other versions result in problems with low blood pressure, bladder control, and several other problems.

What to do? Discuss the problem with your physician. If he/she is uncertain what to do, get an evaluation by a gastroenterologist (gut specialist). There are possibilities including different medications that might be of considerable help to you.

WWQ