I am a 26 year old male and have had Type 1 diabetes since I was thirteen. I am in pretty good control however I would like to be in excellent control. I am interested in a pump, but I am extremely active and am afraid the pump might get in the way. Please let me know opinions from people in my situation.

Good for you to strive for your best!

As far as a pump goes, meet with a diabetes team who has experience in the use of pumps to see if this would be a good option for you. Read previous letters here, and get in touch with other pumpers.

As far as exercise goes, you can disconnect the pump for exercise. You would check your blood sugar before disconnecting, give a bolus, monitor your blood sugar during sports, and then when you reconnect you would give yourself another bolus if needed. You can also lower the basal rate to account for the decrease in insulin needs related to exercise.

To use a pump safely, you will need to check at least four blood sugars a day to make sure the insulin flow is not interrupted. As there is no long acting insulin in the pump, you can be heading into diabetic ketoacidosis in a few hours if there is a problem with insulin flow.

The pump offers a lot of people more freedom in their routine. For others, the pump is too much work, or does not offer the improvement they thought it would.

I usually find that people that are looking for an "easy way out" will not be happy with the pump. If you are already working hard at your control, the pump may be a great improvement for you.

Posted to Insulin Pumps