Question:

From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

I am 38 years old, and normal weight. I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy (treated by diet only), and with my second the obstetrician classified me as "borderline" and just had me avoid sweets. I recently read an abstract of a medical article that said if you have gestational diabetes, that you should not get pregnant again because it increases your risk of developing (non-gestational) diabetes. Is this true? My husband would like to have another child, but I am afraid of risking my own future health.

Answer:

Your risk of developing diabetes later in life is increased if you have had gestational diabetes. However, I am not aware of any data that states your chances worsen with each pregnancy.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes