Question:

From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

I am 38 years old, and normal weight. I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy (treated by diet only), and with my second the obstetrician classified me as "borderline" and just had me avoid sweets. I recently read an abstract of a medical article that said if you have gestational diabetes, that you should not get pregnant again because it increases your risk of developing (non-gestational) diabetes. Is this true? My husband would like to have another child, but I am afraid of risking my own future health.

Answer:

Your risk of developing diabetes later in life is increased if you have had gestational diabetes. However, I am not aware of any data that states your chances worsen with each pregnancy.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.