Question:

From Brooklyn, New York, USA:

I have an Australian friend who has been living in New York for some time. She also has a problem with enuresis. Your previous remarks on this issue have been aimed towards children. My friend is 30, diagnosed with type 1 at 17. I think she had the enuresis problem before being diagnosed. She interprets the problem as a psychosomatization of family problems, but also wonders if it is connected to the diabetes. She hasn't been able to discern a pattern in terms of sugar levels, what's been consumed, etc., and when she wets. Any thoughts on how to approach the problem?

Answer:

Your friend could have stress incontinence or some other source of the enuresis. It may have nothing to do with diabetes at all. My thought is to encourage her to visit a physician and relate what has been going on to the doctor. She could have a bladder problem that might even need surgical intervention.

CMB