Question:

From Florida, USA:

I am 32 with Type 2 diabetes, recently diagnosed, and had a pregnancy 12 years ago with gestational diabetes. Can diabetes interfere with conception? I am having trouble conceiving. With my first pregnancy I was not diabetic before conception and had normal blood sugars after delivery up to two years ago. I was on fertility drugs (Clomid and Fertinex) last year not knowing I was diabetic: can they also increase blood sugars?

Answer:

Diabetes by itself should not greatly affect fertility. However, associated problems such as hypothyroidism or obesity might, due to decreased ovulation. I could not find any information on Fertinex but from the literature I have read, Clomid does not seem to affect blood glucose.

Posted to Family Planning

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.