Question:

From Texas, USA:

What are the normal ranges for blood sugar?

Answer:

I assume you are asking, when you have diabetes, what should the range of blood sugars be. The answer would be individual, and I would speak to your diabetes care provider for a specific answer. In general, you would want to keep your blood sugars as close to the normal range as is safe and possible.

Without diabetes, you would usually keep your blood sugar between approximately 60-120 mg/dl. With insulin therapy it is not possible to always be in this range. Hypoglycemia is the limiting factor when determining your goals. Individual goals would also be affected by age, activity, recognition of hypoglycemia, history of severe hypoglycemia, and presence of complications.

Also remember that home meters are not as accurate as a laboratory sample. There can easily be a 15% difference from meter to meter and from check to check on the same meter. Home meters should not be used to distinguish a true low from a normal reading, nor determine the diagnosis of diabetes. Home meters can also differ in whether they are calibrated to whole blood versus plasma.

LM