Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I am a 17 year old female. My great grandmother and grandfather have diabetes. I am not sure what type they have, but I was wondering what the risk is for me. I am constantly finding bruises that appear and then will not go away for 3-5 weeks. I also have brief sessions of blacking out when I start to get hot or very active physically. Someone suggested that I should get tested for diabetes, but I am afraid of the results. Any suggestions?

Answer:

Your symptoms do not seem to be those of someone with diabetes. However, it might do you some good to have a regular checkup with a doctor just to calm your fears. Do you have a doctor? If not, is there a clinic that offers screenings for diabetes in your town?

Fear of knowing things can keep you feeling stuck! Knowledge is one way of erasing fear. Why not ease your mind with a check up?

CMB

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Genetics and Heredity