Question:

From Wyandotte, Michigan, USA:

My daughter is 7 years old and had Type 1 diabetes for 1 year. She is very active, and has lots of scratches and abrasions. She is taking forever to heal. I always treat with Neosporin [an antibiotic skin cream], but it always seems infected a little and very red. She takes showers every night. When I say it takes forever, I mean 3 or 4 weeks is about average. Her bruises last about 2 weeks. She is in fair control. A1c's about 8%. Almost every scab has produced a scar. Is this common? I can't find any information on this subject.

Answer:

I doubt very much whether the slow healing and scarring of abrasions in your daughter has anything to do with her diabetes; but the story does sound an unusual one. I think you need to talk to her pediatrician about this and let him/her decide whether any further investigations would be appropriate. It would be important to be able tell the doctor when this all started and whether there were any other lifestyle changes at the same time. In the meantime you might try a combination Bacitracin/Neomycin/Polymyxin B antibiotic ointment as a first aid measure.

DO'B

Posted to Aches and Pains