Question:

From Cairo, Egypt:

Is there any relation between the level of vitamin A and Type 1 diabetes mellitus in comparison to Type 2 diabetes mellitus?

Answer:

I know of no study comparing vitamin A levels in IDDM (Type 1) with NIDDM (Type 2) in groups of comparable age, sex, environment and nutrition. It would in fact be a difficult project to devise.

There are of course some unusual situations in which there might be differences. For instance, about 5% of Type 1A or autoimmune based diabetics have elevated serum anti-transglutaminase levels which are diagnostic of celiac syndrome. Not all of these have clinical symptoms; but where steatorrhea [fatty stools] was untreated there would be a vitamin A deficiency. I would expect also that in diabetes due to malnutrition that vitamin A levels would be low.

DO'B