From Alabama, USA:

My five year old son was diagnosed 7 months ago. He has does very well with injections and testings. He is a great kid and we try just to consider his diabetes to be an additional concern to the many cares and concerns of raising any child. It has been a life change for the entire family, but after seven months we have moved beyond the "dazed" phase and moved more into the "acceptance" phase. He takes 5 NPH in the A.M. and 2.5 NPH before dinner (supper). We use a sliding scale with R if he is high.

The first week after being diagnosed he gained 5 pounds but has not gained any more since then. He currently weighs 40 pounds and had always been on the 50% percentile until now. What are some reasons that he is not gaining weight and how can we help him gain weight? He eats well and averages 175-225 balanced carbs a day.

I cannot really answer your question as I do not have his growth statistics to plot on a growth curve. Many times kids will gain weight immediately following the initiation of insulin and then stop for a while and maintain until another growth spurt comes. If you are concerned about this I would suggest you ask your doctor or other team members. A dietitian would be most helpful in determining if there are any other issues connected with eating that may be important to change.

I have seen children stop growing if parents adjusted food for high blood sugars, that is, skip snacks, or cut back on meals. This does not really make sense when the calories a child needs to grow are being adjusted instead of the insulin. This is why a dietitian is helpful in the long term care of a child with diabetes, because she/he will track the growth and have suggestions to keep the food on track.