Question:

My son has Type 1 diabetes. He is 8 years old. We are really trying to manage his care to the best of our abilities. He is under the care of a Pediatric Endocrinologist. We are well pleased with her care. I do have a question: Why does the medical profession ignore the positive effects of natural health sources? In addition, we have consulted a nutritionist who has put my son on several vitamins and herbs. He takes Chromium, 1,000 mcg per day, Grapine, a Grapeseed extract, multi-vitamin, and Una De Gato. We have seen a dramatic decrease in his insulin dosage. He is now taking U-50 which is diluted 70/30 insulin. His amount is 16 units in the morning and 8 in the evening. Do you know of persons who are trying to manage diabetes with insulin and vitamins and herbs? I want to do what is best for him and help him be his best. He is a very good boy who still wants to hide it to some degree from his school friends. He was diagnosed only 10 months ago. He does all of his glucose monitoring and insulin shots.

Answer:

I have not personally come across the use of herbs and vitamins in Type 1 diabetes. Chromium has been shown to be of some value in Type 2 diabetes, but there is no claim that can be of benefit for the autoimmune forms of diabetes. There is an ongoing trial of chromium picolinate together with many other trace dietary factors to see if they have any effect on the long term development of vascular complications. My advice to you is to stick with insulin and try to achieve the best metabolic control.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations