From Texas:

My doctor took a complete blood test and he told me that my sugar was high and that I have diabetes and would need to take pills and do sugar tests for the rest of my life. My question is: can just one blood test tell if I have diabetes? I am female and 40 yr old.

A single elevated blood sugar is all that's needed to make the diagnosis of diabetes, if it's very elevated (200 or more on a random sample) and the patient has the appropriate symptoms. But to be sure, I'll always check two or three times before making a lifetime diagnosis!

You indicated that your therapy will involve taking pills: although that is a frequent recommendation for people with Type 2 diabetes, it's not always the correct therapy. Sometimes the diabetes can be controlled without pills using meal planning and exercise, and occasionally people with Type 2 diabetes need insulin injections to help.

Sugar tests will be appropriate for the rest of your life if it turns out that you do have diabetes. Right now, we are recommending blood sugar testing using fingersticks; someday we hope there will be Non-invasive Blood Glucose Meters.