From Kentucky, USA:

I have had diabetes for four years. I am now 13 years old. In the beginning when I first became a diabetic I was taking good care of myself, but now I am starting to slack off in taking care of myself. Are there any tips or information you can give me on taking care of my diabetes? I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Most people your age try really hard to take care of their diabetes in the initial months and years after the diagnosis. But diabetes management can really get boring, huh? Do you think you are "slacking off" because of the ongoing routine? Or has something else prompted you to do less than your best lately? It is normal to have times when the diabetes gets on your nerves and you are not the only one who has gone through this, but you are smart enough to write to us and seek help! That is great!

Are you the only person your age that you know with diabetes? Do you have a pen pal or a youth group to keep you motivated? Have you ever participated in our chat rooms at Children with Diabetes? Sounds like the "newness" of diabetes has worn off and now you have to settle down into the challenge of keeping motivated. You can do it!

With all the research going on in diabetes, you want to be in great shape to benefit from every new discovery, right? Try and take it one day at a time. Focus on just today: follow your management plan today. One by one the days will add up to a string of successful months of self management.