From Santa Cruz, New Mexico, USA:

My HbA1c tests taken every 3 months have regularly been between 6.3-7.5 with a normal range from 4.4-6.8. I just took the new A1c test for the last 3 months and had a 7.7 with a normal range listed of 4.4-5.8. My daily numbers have been stable during the past 6 months. What are the equivalents for the new test? Is it reliable or more reliable than the old test? Why would I get such different results from one A1c test to the next?

The medical diabetes community everywhere is struggling with the fact that HbA1c measurement is totally site and machine specific. It is not really possible to compare a value on one machine with a value on another. Great efforts are underway to standardise this test which is so crucial to diabetes care. Success would be widely welcomed, not least because it would make comparisons between centres and groups of patients much easier than is the case just now. Furthermore, most centres looking after children with diabetes use the adult reference range when they should produce their own children's range.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c