Question:

From Puerto Rico:

My husband is 34 years old and was diagnosed as a diabetic at 13. He uses insulin. I am 33 years old and non-diabetic. Nobody in his family has Type 1 diabetes. We are trying to start a family, but we've been trying for five months with no luck (we have even used ovulation predictor kits for two months now). I stopped taking oral contraceptives a year ago.

I know that diabetes can harm sperm production, so my question is, how long should we wait until checking his sperm count? I have only been able to find information on diabetes or infertility, but not both.

Answer:

Sperm production would have to be significantly suppressed to have an effect on fertility. Usually the recommendation is to try for one year of unprotected intercourse before pursuing an evaluation of causes of infertility. However, if you feel pressured by time, then if you have not conceived on your own in the next two months, you may want to consult an infertility specialist.

Posted to Family Planning