In response to all your feedback on herbal uses, I am just curious if there is any research at all given to the god-given, age-old remedies of herbal medicines? My son has just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and I am completely confident in his doctor's care, but also feel it is my duty as a mother to pursue every option that may be available to better my son's life now and in the future. I work with a midwife and have seen the work of herbs in miraculous ways. Why do you feel there is no such herb that can help a diabetic?

To answer you fully would involve discussing the whole relationship between conventional and alternative medicine and that is really beyond the scope of e-mail. However if you look at what the outlook was for diabetic children before the availability of insulin and at what it is now in parts of the world where poverty excludes insulin, like the street children in Brazil or in rural India, it is impossible not to accept that the conventional medical approach is the only one to offer long term survival. Add to this the information that we now have, that good control can substantially reduce long term complications, then the predominant emphasis of care really has to be along these lines.

However it would be wrong to say that herbal supplements have no role at all. For the most part they do no harm and even if there is also no substantive evidence that they affect glucose metabolism, if it makes you feel that you are in this way making and extra and unique contribution to your son's health, that is indeed very important indeed. And the fact that this contribution is apart from what orthodox medicine imposes on you may enhance its value. So don't feel put off by science!

There is still a certain amount of research going on in this area, not so much with herbal remedies as with trace nutritional supplements like chromium and the possible effects of vitamins A and E on blood vessel complications. The emphasis too is more on the Type 2 (adult onset) diabetic rather than on children.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations