Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Jul 1998

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Dec 15 | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. Are there any statistics for hypoglycemia or other diabetes symptoms in the pre-natal and new-born? (31 Jul 1998)

2. We have been told to dilute the Humalog with the diluent for Humulin N (brand of NPH). We were told that is what Lilly is now recommending, but I haven't been able to find anything on it. Do you know if this is the currently correct diluent? (31 Jul 1998)

3. What is the current, estimated or accurate, number of people in the US who have diabetes? (31 Jul 1998)

4. I am 44 and have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. However, I can't seem to get a clear answer as to what normal blood sugar levels should be. (31 Jul 1998)

5. Do you have information on how shingles and sciatica might affect a diabetic? (31 Jul 1998)

6. Is there anything I can do to get a specialist and/or a team of diabetic specialists, not only to help with my sugar level but also to help me gain weight? (27 Jul 1998)

7. Is it more important for children with diabetes to receive their immunization shots? (27 Jul 1998)

8. My 5 year old daughter has had bouts of tachycardia, weakness and vomiting after missing dinner, then sleeping in to have a late breakfast. Should I have her tested for hypoglycemia? (27 Jul 1998)

9. My 5-year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at the age of two. My question is regarding his eight month old brother and the rumors I have heard regarding cows' milk and the increased incidence of Type 1 diabetes. (27 Jul 1998)

10. I am a 50 year old Type 2. I was diagnosed roughly 3.5 years ago. I am 6'0" and weigh 191 lb. About 6 weeks ago, my pre-breakfast readings moved up to average 150 to 170. (27 Jul 1998)

11. My dad is 80 years old and was diagnosed as a diabetic while in his 60's. Can you recommend specific foods to be avoided? (25 Jul 1998)

12. My boyfriend is 20, and has mild diabetes. He doesn't monitor his sugar levels properly, and they can get quite high. (25 Jul 1998)

13. I am a 16-year-old female and lately I've become very worried about the possibility that I may have diabetes. Is it unusual to be diagnosed at this age? (25 Jul 1998)

14. I have a 17 year old son who has Type 1 diabetes and takes insulin and Glucophage. (25 Jul 1998)

15. I have an 11 year old son who was diagnosed with diabetes several months ago. We are considering pump therapy. Does pump therapy help prevent future complications and make life easier on a day to day basis? (25 Jul 1998)

16. My 82 year-old father in law was diagnosed about three weeks ago. Now his vision has deteriorated quickly. He feels he'll be totally blind in a day or two. What is happening? (25 Jul 1998)

17. An endocrinologist believes that our 13-year-old son is developing Type 1 diabetes. We've been seeing symptoms of thirst, excessive urination and fatigue off and on for well over a year. Have you ever heard of such a case? I thought Type 1 diabetes was supposed to come on suddenly. (25 Jul 1998)

18. We have a child 3 years old with Type 1. When he eats maize-porridge in the mornings with milk, his blood sugar goes up to 26 mmol/l [468 mg/dl]. Why is this? (25 Jul 1998)

19. My wife is 37, just completed her first trimester of pregnancy. What seems to trigger the higher levels is not so much her diet as her level of tension. (25 Jul 1998)

20. My niece is 11 years old and recently became ill. It was later determined that she is suffering from Type 1 diabetes. Is her life in jeopardy now? Is there a chance that this will resolve or will she have Type 1 her whole life? (25 Jul 1998)

21. Can you please help me to calibrate my son's meter? (24 Jul 1998)

22. My wife has been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Her prescribed diet includes two pieces of bread at both breakfast and lunch, as well as pasta, potatoes, or rice at dinner. Wouldn't it be better for my wife to be consuming lower glycemic index foods? (24 Jul 1998)

23. After my friend had a fit or stroke, I was told in the ambulance that his blood sugar level was 3.1. What does this mean? (24 Jul 1998)

24. I am 65, with diabetes. Three weeks ago I developed double vision. Either eye by itself is okay. Comments, solutions? Any advice? (24 Jul 1998)

25. What percent of Americans have diabetes and do not know it? (24 Jul 1998)

26. We have received information about a physician in Chicago who is treating Type 1 patients with an acupuncture machine and a product called DiaBeateze. Do you have any information about this treatment? (24 Jul 1998)

27. I've heard reports that using marijuana has greatly reduced their need for insulin. Have you any similar reports? (24 Jul 1998)

28. Please tell me whether I am diabetic or not. My blood sugar during early morning fasting (06:00 hrs) is 150 while in the evening (18:00 hrs) is less than 100. (24 Jul 1998)

29. I have been diabetic since I was 12 (I'm now 31) and had severe problems with retinopathy in both eyes over five years ago. How great a risk would pregnancy pose to my eyesight? (24 Jul 1998)

30. Can high sugars interfere with a pregnancy test? (24 Jul 1998)

31. A boy, age 4 years with Type 1, wants to know his life expectancy. (23 Jul 1998)

32. When testing glucose levels using whole blood rather than plasma, what are the levels of glucose considered high, moderate and normal? (23 Jul 1998)

33. At what age should diabetes education begin? Are there formal curricula for educating young children? (23 Jul 1998)

34. Our daughter, 18 (very healthy), will be graduating from art school in 2 years and will no longer be insured by our policy. How can I get involved in this fight? (23 Jul 1998)

35. I watched my local news and they had a story about the possibility of Glucophage for helping infertility. Please let me know any information on this. (23 Jul 1998)

36. I was wondering if and how Type 1 diabetes affects the reproductive system. (23 Jul 1998)

37. My 13 year old cat has had diabetes for over a year. He was on total of 4 units a day of Ultralente. He has become unregulated again. Would it be okay to increase his insulin another 1/2 unit in the A.M. and P.M.? (23 Jul 1998)

38. My daughter, age 9, has had Type 1 for almost 2 years. She seems to be in denial or wishing her diabetes would go away. Are there therapists that deal with children with diabetes? (23 Jul 1998)

39. Given the difficulty diabetics have even getting rudimentary medical insurance, what are the chances that people with diabetes can swing psychological counseling bills? (23 Jul 1998)

40. I found out I have Type 2 diabetes recently. I am in the Navy and a SCUBA diver. Does having Type 2 stop me from diving? My diabetes is controlled by diet, my blood sugar runs between 88-126, checked daily. (23 Jul 1998)

41. My 20 month-old daughter has had diabetes for over a year now. I do not have her in any daycare and her contact with other kids is limited to family and friends yet she seems to pick up every virus around. Does diabetes compromise her body's immune system? (21 Jul 1998)

42. My daughter was diagnosed at the age of 2. We have only had to use glucagon on one occasion. The needle is so large and has to be painful. (21 Jul 1998)

43. I noticed in reading an earlier response to a question submitted about incidence of Type 1, you stated there were no Registries. Would you please explain exactly what a Registry is and what data it would contain? (21 Jul 1998)

44. I have written a story and want to send it to publishers. In my cover letter, I would like to list some statistics: How many children in America have diabetes, What are their ages, etc. (21 Jul 1998)

45. My 11 year old son was diagnosed three months ago. He is currently taking only N, 2 times per day. Can you explain to me the importance of timing the injections in relation to meals? (21 Jul 1998)

46. My 23 month old daughter had an episode of "spilling" a small amount of glucose into her urine several months ago. Upon doing a blood sugar test, however, it came back normal. Everyone seems stumped. What are other causes of glucose in the urine in a child her age? (21 Jul 1998)

47. About 6 months ago I was diagnosed with functional hypoglycemia, and my doctor told me that most often it changes into Type 1 Diabetes within 10 years. I have a doctor who knows nothing more than this. (21 Jul 1998)

48. My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed 2 weeks ago. She was put on a 1700 calorie diet. Before being diagnosed, whenever she was hungry she would eat something. Now she seems to be hungry all the time. Are we under-feeding her? (21 Jul 1998)

49. My 35 year-old new husband (Type 1, since age 5) is having trouble managing his sugars when we travel. Is using a pump only when travelling a solution? (21 Jul 1998)

50. I have a friend who is a diabetic since she was one year old. Her husband is employed, however, he does not have insurance. She had went to the social security office approximately 3 times and was denied. (21 Jul 1998)

51. I have a 3 year old girl, diagnosed at 17 months with Type 1. Because of instability and lack of growth we are starting Intensive Insulin Management next week. (18 Jul 1998)

52. My daughter is 7 years old. We changed from Regular insulin to Humalog last year. It seems that we had a much harder time controlling her blood sugars with Humalog. (18 Jul 1998)

53. I was diagnosed diabetic about 4 months ago and was told I could control it by diet. I sometimes wonder wether my doctor just diagnosed me diabetic to see if it made me lose weight. Are my numbers that I gave you those of a diabetic? (18 Jul 1998)

54. Recently my health insurance company took the Lilly insulin, which my daughter takes, off of their preferred formulary list and wants my daughter to switch to Novolin. I am concerned about switching and disrupting her blood glucose numbers. She takes R, N and Humalog. (18 Jul 1998)

55. My daughter as a newborn had a hypoglycemic seizure and stopped breathing for a few seconds. We sought help from a pediatric endocrinologist and he said that this would be something that she would outgrow. (18 Jul 1998)

56. I would like to prepare some puddings. I have no idea what is the carbohydrates contents/100 grams for cornstarch or other starches. (18 Jul 1998)

57. I care for a 7 year old child with Type 1 diabetes. He started with me three months ago, and two days later, he suffered a diabetic seizure. (18 Jul 1998)

58. My 20-year old niece has had Type 1 diabetes for 10 years. At best, she is taking mediocre care of her health. I would like to know how serious this is, for example what is her approximate life expectancy compared to that of a 20-year old girl without diabetes? (18 Jul 1998)

59. My 20 month old son was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. My husband wants to have our four year old checked for antibodies to see if he might be pre-diabetic. I am interested in knowing how private the results of these tests are. (18 Jul 1998)

60. My wife recently started work as a cook at a retirement home. She is looking for a source of recipes for cakes, etc. (18 Jul 1998)

61. We are parents of a 14 year old female, diagnosed with Type 1 five years ago, and has recently admitted to bulimia. Any suggestions? (15 Jul 1998)

62. I have a 14 year old daughter who was diagnosed 10 months ago with a diabetic condition. The endocrinologists tells us she has one of 2 types of diabetes, either MODY, or the onset of Type 1. Is there another test which can tell us definitively what we are facing? (15 Jul 1998)

63. I have type 2 diabetes, and am middle-aged. My general practitioner has given me a sample box of Evista (raloxifene HCl) to try. (15 Jul 1998)

64. My girlfriend has been Type 1 for about 10 years. I am greatly concerned for her long term health, and was wondering what are the possible results from her becoming pregnant (besides having a child). (15 Jul 1998)

65. I am a 28 year old woman with a serious family history of diabetes (both parents, 3 out of 4 grandparents). I have been feeling extremely sick mid-morning and mid-afternoon, dizzy, light-headed, unable to concentrate, emotionally unstable. (15 Jul 1998)

66. My son has had diabetes since he was nine months old. Just recently he would wake up just fine then about a half an hour later he would tell me he could not move his legs, and that he would have a terrible headache. (15 Jul 1998)

67. Is it true that once you're diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, you never "cure" it? (15 Jul 1998)

68. I've heard about a watch of some sort that diabetics wear to tell them when they need their insulin and the dose they need. Does this thing exist, and if so, how can I get it? (15 Jul 1998)

69. My son is 12 and was diagnosed at 9 with Type 1. We originally were told he wouldn't have diabetes because his antibody test was negative. I am confused. (15 Jul 1998)

70. Our daughter was diagnose 2 months ago; she is 8 years old. Recently she had impetigo around her mouth. What is the other treatment for this, and what causes it? (13 Jul 1998)

71. My son was diagnosed when he was 15 months. He is now two and I am curious to find out if and at what age the insulin pump would be appropriate for him. (13 Jul 1998)

72. I have a granddaughter with diabetes. I don't know what research has been done on children this young. Can you send me information about it? (13 Jul 1998)

73. You will never believe what happened to me! I discovered today that my cat has diabetes! His blood sugar was 400! (13 Jul 1998)

74. A friend of mine has a 7 year old son with Type 1. Each day before he eats lunch at school, he tests his blood sugar level. If his blood sugar is "high" he is told to run laps around the football field. Is this medically sound? (13 Jul 1998)

75. I was wondering what kind of candy I can eat. I'm Type 1, and 14. (13 Jul 1998)

76. How many diabetics will die before the medical profession can see that these human insulins do have very adverse affects to many diabetics? Check out the FDA's 1995 list for the top 10 most reported drugs for adverse reactions! Human insulin was #8. (13 Jul 1998)

77. I'm a 27 year old, Type 1 for 5 years. I would like to know if supplements such as creatine, vanadyl sulfate, and whey protein powders have been found to help or hurt in the control of diabetes. (13 Jul 1998)

78. I am a 27 year old Type 1 diabetic. I am on an insulin pump using Humalog. I have been a diabetic for 8 years. Since getting on the pump I am in better control but I also am having severe problems with anxiety. (11 Jul 1998)

79. My son is an 11 year old Type 1 diabetic diagnosed at 4 and a half. His blood sugar levels on a day to day basis are like a rollercoaster. (11 Jul 1998)

80. My 9 year old was diagnosed 2 years ago. His teacher this year has an indifferent approach to his condition. (11 Jul 1998)

81. I have been getting questions lately asking if children with Down's Syndrome have a greater chance of developing diabetes and also if diabetes is different in children who have Down syndrome. (9 Jul 1998)

82. Do children with diabetes tend to get more insect bites (for example, mosquito bites) than other children, particularly if blood sugar is high? (9 Jul 1998)

83. I'm current working 7 P.M. to 7 A.M. with a co-worker that becomes hypoglycemic at about 5:30 A.M. Please advise on ways to control blood sugar while working on a night shift. (9 Jul 1998)

84. My son has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 6 years old. He is now 10. We would like to go for ice cream every now and then. (9 Jul 1998)

85. Could you describe to me what a "Brittle Diabetic" is? (9 Jul 1998)

86. What pharmacological methods or other programmes of prophylaxis of diabetic kidney disease and also of lower limbs and retina exist? (8 Jul 1998)

87. Have you heard anything about isotonix opc3 in regards to assisting with blood glucose levels? (8 Jul 1998)

88. My mother and two of her brothers have Type 2 diabetes. My husband's father and two of his sisters (my husband's aunts) also have Type 2 diabetes. Is our son more at risk for Type 1 diabetes because it runs in our family? Is he more at risk for Type 2 diabetes? (8 Jul 1998)

89. I recently obtained a copy of an article from the April 1998 issue of the Natural Medicine Journal which advocates the use of Niacinamide to prevent the onset of diabetes. (4 Jul 1998)

90. I'm aware that Type 1 diabetes has been linked to mild neurological impairment concerning the ability to process and learn new information. (4 Jul 1998)

91. My doctor took a complete blood test and he told me that my sugar was high and that I have diabetes and would need to take pills and do blood tests for the rest of my life. Can just one blood test tell if I have diabetes? (4 Jul 1998)

92. I've been diagnosed with anorexia and bulimia. I was wondering if chronic eating disorders can cause diabetes. (4 Jul 1998)

93. My husband, age 35, has recently been diagnosed a Type 2 diabetic. We have three girls, 2, 5, and 9. How early can we have our children checked to see if they will have diabetes? (4 Jul 1998)

94. A magazine I just got has a small item citing a study which supposedly found the herb "holy basil leaf" useful in helping reduce blood glucose levels in Type 2 diabetics. (1 Jul 1998)

95. What is the difference between protein and microalbumin? If I do have kidney damage, is it more likely that it was caused by having preeclampsia during my pregnancy, or did being diabetic for 33 years finally catch up with me? (1 Jul 1998)

96. Do you have anymore information on the newest studies of the inhalant that is being tested for Type 1 diabetics? Is this procedure being tested on humans at this time and if so, where? (1 Jul 1998)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts