Question:

From America On-Line:

I've been diagnosed with anorexia and bulimia. I was wondering if chronic eating disorders can cause diabetes. My blood sugar has ranged from 28 to 300 (measured while I was at the hospital) and I'm getting kinda worried. I've had the eating disorders for 5 years and am working on recovery.

Answer:

Do eating disorders cause diabetes? No, but with purging and starving, I am not at all surprised that your blood sugar level varies so much.

Congratulations on attempting recovery; you have our support in that. Eating disorders can be lethal left unaddressed!

CMB

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Behavior