Question:

From America On-Line:

My mother and two of her brothers have Type 2 diabetes. My husband's father and two of his sisters (my husband's aunts) also have Type 2 diabetes. Is our son more at risk for Type 1 diabetes because it runs in our family? Is he more at risk for Type 2 diabetes?

Answer:

The risk of a child developing type 1 diabetes in a family with Type 2 diabetes should be about the same as any other individual, and I would think it would not be increased. On the other hand, the risk of this child developing type 2 diabetes later in life would be definitely increased, perhaps to about a 50% chance when middle-aged or elderly, and would be even more likely if obese.

The Risk of Developing Type 1 Diabetes is discussed at The Risk of Developing Type 1 Diabetes. Also, see other questions we've previously answered about Genetics and Heredity.

WWQ

Posted to Genetics and Heredity