Question:

From Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania, USA:

My son has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 6 years old. He is now 10. We would like to go for ice cream every now and then. He is on Humalog. Is there anyway he can go for ice cream (the shop does have sugar-free frozen yogurt) without it having to be his usual snacktime? Now that he is getting older he may want to go with his friends to get something extra and as I understand it you're supposed to be able to with the Humalog.

Answer:

Ice cream with Humalog should be fine. An insulin pen is a convenient way to carry the Humalog. In general, one unit of Humalog covers 10-20 grams of carbohydrate. Your son may not always need extra insulin for the ice cream, depending on the blood sugar at the time, exercise, other foods eaten or fat content of the ice cream, time of day, etc. Each person is different, and I would recommend that you check and see how it works, and modify the plan accordingly.

Speak to your diabetes care provider to set up the plan!

LM