Question:

From Staten Island, New York, USA:

My 9 year old was diagnosed 2 years ago. His teacher this year has an indifferent approach to his condition. We are not looking for special treatment, but we don't find his glucose supply is exhausted until after he complains of feeling dizzy and there is nothing available for him. Does the school/teacher have a responsibility under the IDEA ruling? This is a Catholic school. Does the IDEA rule apply only if federal funds are received? How can I find out?

Answer:

I don't quite understand the problem. I'm not sure whether your child is running out of daily snacks and going low, or running out of emergency sugar for the treatment of low blood sugar.

I suggest you make an appointment with the teacher to explain the problem and ask the teacher how he or she would like to solve it. The teacher shouldn't have to be in charge of making sure your child has enough daily snacks. That should be your responsibility to send in daily and make sure the school has some emergency snacks in case your child forgets.

If your child is running out of sugar for treatment of low blood sugar reactions, you might ask the teacher to pin a note on your child telling you each time your child has a low (you should know this information anyway) and letting you know when supplies are low. Your child should also go to school each day with some emergency sugar such as cake decorating gel in his pocket or knapsack.

If you feel the teacher still is not cooperating, it may be helpful to get a letter from your child's doctor explaining what his needs are in school. The next step would be to speak to the principal.

My understanding is that only schools that receive federal aid are covered under the IDEA act. Many religious schools do receive federal aid. For more information, suggestions, and information about this law you can read School Bill of Rights for Children with Diabetes at this website.

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare