Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

My son is an 11 year old Type 1 diabetic diagnosed at 4 and a half. His blood sugar levels on a day to day basis are like a rollercoaster. His levels do not seem to be directly affected by what he eats. However, when his endocrinologist sees his A1c results he always says that he is doing fine (his results usually average 6.1). I was told that just because his A1c is good that doesn't mean these daily up and down readings aren't going to negatively affect my son later in life. He eats what we think is a lot of carbs (cereal, pretzels, peanut butter and jelly on white bread, potato chips, crackers and apples). This is his typical breakfast, lunch and snacks. Dinner could be pasta, chicken with rice or potatoes, etc. I was told that looking at a carb counter isn't good because children burn energy much faster than adults. Could you please give us a reasonable daily carb range for my son and how we can determine the best dosage of insulin based on those carbs? He is currently on Humalog and NPH. He gets a shot before breakfast and before dinner.

Answer:

Having a son eleven is a challenge when it comes to controlling diabetes. So many things affect blood sugars, hormones for growth, sexual maturation, and stress, to name a few. The food is also a key factor in regulating blood sugars so I would suggest you ask your endocrinologist to recommend a dietitian who works with children with diabetes to help you decide what kind of meal plan he should be on. This could really be a great help to you and as he grows and his calorie need increase, the dietitian can help you adjust the amounts of foods allowed in his meal plan.

JM

Posted to Daily Care and Meal Planning, Food and Diet