Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

I am a 27 year old Type 1 diabetic. I am on an insulin pump using Humalog. I have been a diabetic for 8 years. Since getting on the pump I am in better control but I also am having severe problems with anxiety. I get low sometimes without feeling anything and therefore I am obsessive about checking my bloodsugars and live in constant fear of passing out. I tend to run my bloodsugars high just to feel at ease. Then I am fearful that I am going to cause a coma from ketoacidosis. I know this sounds crazy and actually that is how I feel.

I am the only diabetic I know so there is not anyone who really understands. A high for me is 250-260 and a low is 52. These are the numbers I am dealing with. Please give me any advice possible. I do see an endocrinologist reguarly but I do not feel she really cares about my concerns.

Answer:

It is good that you check your blood sugar reliably since you are on the pump. You are doing all you can to keep yourself safe and well. It sounds like you may need to look for a physician you can really talk to, especially since you have no other diabetics around you to share your concerns. Have you looked into the ADA? Is there a support group in your area for people with diabetes? Have you investigated joining one of the online "chat" options for people with diabetes?

Isolation enhances fear. Please consider linking up with others who really do understand. Feel free to continue to ask the Diabetes Team for support and use the sites here to help you. As pumps become more and more common, there are lots of others who can assist you along the way.

CMB