Question:

From a member of the Diabetes Team:

You will never believe what happened to me! I discovered today that my cat has diabetes! His blood sugar was 400! I noticed that he was consuming copious amounts of water and urinating crater lakes in the litter box, cranky, starving, and losing weight. So I went to my vet and said, "This cat has diabetes!" and I was right.

He has now had his first shot of pork NPH (the vet says cats do not respond to the newer insulins) and I got a meter and strips to use to check cat blood glucoses. What a smart cat to be living with me!

If you know any current data on diabetes in felines, send it my way.

Answer:

See Feline Diabetes, especially the webpage entitled Newly Diagnosed? (This website is authored by Dr. Rebecca Price, "a human physician who is the caretaker of two diabetic cats. Input is welcome (and needed!) from all other cat owners and interested people who would like to see a comprehensive information center for helping feline diabetics".) Also, look at Pets with Diabetes for more links to other websites with information.

WWQ