Question:

From Mexico City, Mexico:

I have a granddaughter with diabetes; she's one year four months old. I don't know what research has been done on children this young. Can you send me information about it?

Answer:

Your request is really too comprehensive to be within the scope of an e-mail reply. However if you feel that you can manage a certain amount of technical language you might like to look in the following Internet sites: research topics here at Children with Diabetes, PubMed, and Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes. From the latter you can download a manual on diabetes in children which you may find useful.

In your searches you might consider looking for recent research in the following areas:

1. Screening of siblings for diabetes risk and possible prevention.
  2. The importance of good control even in small children so as to avoid complications later in life.
  3. The state of non-invasive devices for reading blood sugars e.g., the GlucoWatch.
  4. A new long acting insulin that gives very even release over 24 hours.

You could also look over the abstracts of recent articles in a journal called Diabetes Care.

I hope this will give you a start.

DO'B

Posted to Research: Other