Question:

From Massachusetts, USA:

My son is 12 and was diagnosed at 9 with Type 1. We originally were told he wouldn't have diabetes because his antibody test was negative. Now he takes two shots per day of 1.5R and 6.5 Ultralente in the both the A.M. and P.M. His A1c test just jumped from 8.5 to 10.5. Is this very high? What I am confused about is that he had some sort of blood test performed that showed he would only ever have a mild case of diabetes. They also want to do a type of tolerance test to see how much insulin his body is still producing.

Does all this sound correct? They want to increase his insulin because they say his body had outgrown his dose. I am confused.

Answer:

Antibody tests can sometimes be negative. If your son's Hemoglobin A1c is 10.5 that's way too high, and he needs more insulin.

Try to focus on getting the sugars under control and nothing else. I don't believe you'll be able to find any answers though I wish we had them for you. The bottom line is his diabetes is out of control and he needs more insulin to get things back in control to prevent long term complications.

SS

Additional comments from Dr. Deeb:

From the timing, now 12 diagnosed at 9, I surmise that the testing for antibodies was several years ago and a generation ago in our understanding of autoimmunity. We used to think that negative meant all was okay. We now know better. We also have many better tests for determining risk. We now know that individuals can be negative at one time and become positive later.

Additional comments from Dr. O'Brien:

It would be worth mentioning that this boy could have what some people now call Type 1B (antibody negative) diabetes. The instructions for re-establishing control are fine in either case.

DO'B Original posting 15 Jul 1998